San Gorgonio Outdoor Science School’s philosophy is to teach science concepts and social skills that are suited to an outdoor setting. The science curriculum is aligned with California State Science Standards for fifth and sixth grades, correlates with Next Generation Science Standards, and supports STEM principles. The program also builds 21st Century skills: (the 5 c’s) Critical thinking (problem solving), creativity (innovation), communication, collaboration, and character.
Challenge students' minds at San Gorgonio Outdoor Science School!
Through trails and activities SGOSS will cover:
- Astronomy – stars and planets, distance in space (light years), deep sky objects and constellations.
- Ecology – ecosystems, energy flow, photosynthesis, food chains, food pyramids, living vs. non-living, cycles, relationships, soil formation and local plant identification.
- Geology – plate tectonics, earthquakes and fault lines in California, rock cycle, weathering, erosion, and identification of local rocks and minerals.
- Wildlife Biology – observation and identification of local wildlife, characteristics and adaptations, habitat requirements, roles in the ecosystem: predator vs. prey, and insect investigation.
- Science Process Skills – observing, categorizing, comparing, and the scientific method, (forming a hypothesis, testing, analyzing, and forming conclusions).
- Career opportunities in science.
- Cooperation and teamwork
- Responsibility and independence
- Respect for others
- Awareness and appreciation for the environment
- Daily academic hikes
- Water and energy conservation
- Proper etiquette during meals